The Supreme Court direction came as the BMC squad bulldozed its way into Campa Cola Housing Society and began demolition as per the apex court order
PTI
Mumbai: Bringing respite to the worried residents, Supreme Court on Wednesday asked authorities to stay demolition of the Campa Cola Society till May 31, 2014.
The Brihamnumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) authorities firm on taking action against illegal flats in the Campa Cola Housing Society had entered the entered the compound with bulldozers, earlier this morning, resulting in a scuffle between the angry residents and the civic staff.
The civic staff had also disconnected power, water and gas connections in the empty flats.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had set November 11 deadline to vacate 102 flats declared as illegal. Families living in the compound had pinned their hopes on Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan stepping in and saving their homes by passing an ordinance to regularise their flats.
Fighting a legal battle since 2005, the residents said they were duped by the builders and will be on the roads if their flats were pulled down.
The seven high-rise buildings were constructed at the Campa Cola Compound between 1981 and 1989. The builders had permission for only five floors, but constructed several more. While one of the buildings has 20 floors, another has 17.
The chief minister, while talking to reporters in Nagpur yesterday had said that the state government was examining the issue on how to go ahead and had already sought the opinion of State Advocate General.
"The government is seeking views of other legal experts on the possible relief against the backdrop of the Supreme Court order," Chavan had said.
No comments:
Post a Comment